Monday 3 February 2014

Postcards from my plate

There is always a scene in most movies or books about this quaint little Italian place that is so romantic and serves up such great food. Well I just happened to visit such a place and let me tell you it was sooooo cool to actually have that experience. The place is called Cucina Italiano and it is in San Diego  in a little strip mall of all places.

 The evening is a little cool but the linen covered  tables outside are inviting and  sporting covered umbrellas with  propane infra red heaters , along with the candles (you know ...the ones with the flickering battery powered flames...ok so not everything is perfect..). Inside it is dimly lit with just the perfect amount of light to add to the ambiance. The waiter tells us all about that nights special ...flattened veal wrapped around spinach and stuffed with some exotic cheeses. My friend and his son order it but  I opt out for the filet mignon with cracked peppercorns and a red wine reduction glaze of some sort which turns out to be soooo yummy I want to lick the plate. The creamy garlic whipped potatoes and exotically spiced vegetables make this meal even more delectable... and how is that possible?

 The paintings on the walls remind me of the paintings in Cuba and I want to take them home and hang them in my condo. I don't want this meal to end ...so I order the crème  brule  and three spoons... it arrives in a heart shaped dish and it is delicious .... my tablemates only take a taste and leave the rest to me...... I lick the dish....ok I exaggerate .... but I  wanted to lick it and I also wanted to take home the waiter (he is so handsome , dressed impeccably in all black with a long black apron wrapped around his waist ) but he is much too young....ah well....isn't there a saying about licking your plate and having the waiter too....hmmmm .... too bad.

to be continued

No comments:

Post a Comment