Monday 30 December 2013

Carribean Cruise part 2

DAY FIVE AND SIX
 
HMMMMMM........well the days are starting to run into each other so I’ll just do a recap of the highlights......
 
it was hot and it was sunny , we took a paid tour in Aruba for snorkeling 90.00 includes  open bar and buffet on the beach . This was worth the money cause Sharon is a secret drinker.......hahaha. ok I am lying ...truth is we are both cheap drunks , two drinks and we can’t stop laughing.... or we need to find a bed.... (to sleep)....lol The snorkeling is in very rough seas and it is just so so....Cuba (which is all I have to compare it too) was 10 times better for fish and coral and fauna. But it was nice to get back into it. The beach was on an island and it had a water park that was amazing!!
Sharon would not go down the slide so I could get a nice picture ..... I think she wants to kill me because I cough all night , every night ....I picked up a cold on the day we left. I clued into it yesterday morning when I said I wanted to shoot myself after a particularly bad night and she offered to buy the gun......
 
 
Aruba has a 100,000 population , it lost its oil production last year when a big company shut down and now they rely solely on tourism. They use steam to generate power that is heated with diesel and then they reuse the water from the steam (genius!) . So guide informs us water is super safe to drink , no need for bottled water “this is not Mexico” he says. All these islands are ruled by the Netherlands and English and Dutch is a common language as we find out in Curacao as well.
 
 The children learn Dutch and English  in grade one then they learn German in grade five and grade six they start polish and then Spanish ...omg !!!! These kids are taught five or six languages ....hell , I had a hard time with just French in high school. When they finish high school they are then shipped to the Netherlands usually on a scholarship to further their education ! Guide says they need these languages  because of all the tourists. It is kinda frightening , I think, like what will happen if there are no tourists?
 
 The Dutch traded new Amsterdam for these string of islands ....now I wanna know why Canada can’t trade Quebec for one of these little paradise spots ? Btw they renamed New Amsterdam after the captain of the deal ...his name was York....yep you guessed it ....they renamed new place New York! I really don’t get it but then geography is beyond my grasp.....history too : (
 
 ok end of day (sugar free dessert....haha) we like the music in Dazzies so we stay and order a drink , I have a grey goose , peach schnapps and cranberry juice ....Sharon has a Corona , bill comes and I put a dollar tip on chit (we don’t use money on board just a plastic ‘sea pass ‘ card) . It makes it easier to spend except at the end of the trip when you get the bill and realize you may be an alcoholic....when you see the total!! Anyway the drink was so potent I change the tip to two dollars and Sharon and I wander out on the dance floor to make some smooth moves to “Play that funky MUUUSIIIIC ALLLLLL NIGHT.....” hahahaha  God ...we are good.....
 
 
 Today we decide to beach it on our own in Curacao , we pick up a cab .... nine passenger pos van (piece of shit)  we share with a really cute young lady visiting her girlfriend , she is from Holland. We proceed to go on this long arduous journey through hell . Driver is on cell phone and we are on back roads that are little more than trails ....omg.... this is not good !
 
  Sharon and I keep giving each other looks and I am making ‘this is quiet the shortcut jokes’ but no one is laughing . I am seriously thinking this could be a big mistake (picking the really blonde pretty girl to share the ride) , I mean no one wants to kidnap us but this girl is kidnap material ....my imagination takes over.....geeze .....why do we keep doing these stupid things? I mean the beach is only supposed to be a few miles down the road , but here we are in no mans land in this piece of shit non descript van with no writing on it...... and we have been driving for close to half and hour!
 
 So ok ...we do end up in this beautiful secluded beach (yes this where you get to go topless) it is optional though so Sharon and I toss a coin and we keep our tops on and I picture everyone mentally thanking us for that....hahaha We only pay driver a portion of agreed price (we have no choice but to keep him cause there are no other means of transportation here to get us back to the ship) he accepts and agrees to come back and get us. (mistake number two ....NEVER go somewhere on your own to a place that has no busses or taxis.) We cover the big four S’s
1)Swimming
2)Suntanning
3)Snoozing
4)Snorkeling
 
Woman at snack shack rolls her eyes at us when it is time to go and we say we are waiting for our driver....omg.... this coulda gone bad real fast but driver shows up and we breath a sigh of relief ...it is pouring buckets and we take a civilized paved road outta there. I think we got screwed on the dutch krona or whatever their money is but don’t care, we are back to the ship with barely time to spare!
 
 We are pretty much last onto the ship but Captain announces engine problems and our departure is now delayed by three hours.....geeze....we think we should him our phone numbers so he can call us next time he’s running late then we don’t have to panic about returning on time!!!
 
ok....dessert is a baked apple in a puff pastry with a dash of whipped cream so the sugar free falls by the wayside for me but Sharon sticks to her guns and has the sugar free....she is vying for saintdom ....lol . We fall into bed at 7:30 pm ...omg ....we are turning into those two old ladies that stalk us . Every time we get our picture taken they show up in our clothes....wtf? They also show up on EVERY cruise we take !
 
 Ok so .....we are excited for tomorrow , or I should say I am ....I'm going to get hypnotized. I am going to lose weight , sleep better , look ten years younger and live happily ever after ....I can hardly wait : ) .
 
 
Sent from Windows Mail

No comments:

Post a Comment