Saturday 28 December 2013

The Green Necklace

Living in a Glass Jar
 
 The Green Necklace
 
She watched with anticipation as I opened her present that was bought with her very own earned money , a gift to her nana that is always spoiling her. I know she is excited for me to open her gift.
 
 Inside , taped to a soft cover teen harlequin novel (she knows I love to read)  is a bright green sparkly necklace with matching earrings.
 
  I am taken back in time to another xmas years ago . It was my sons expectant face looking into mine as I carefully opened his gift bought with great care using his own money. inside is the softest grey wool sweater and a broach that matched the colour of the sweater.....he  was so proud of his find and I was so touched by his diligence in shopping for just the right gift for me. I will always remember that gift and his expectant eyes and his happiness at my approval.
 
 I never wore the sweater ...well maybe once and same for the broach and I remember him asking me why I never wore his gifts , I suppose I shrugged it off with some explanation. When I look back and remember this time I am always saddened by the fact that I neglected to pay attention to  such a simple  request and I wish I had that to do over again....but I can’t . I will never forget that  sweater and the broach and his proud face....but he doesn’t know that.
 
 I turn my attention back this beautiful green sparkly necklace and I clasp it onto my neck and affix the earrings onto my ears and I don’t take them off until  go to bed. I also know what I will be wearing on New Years eve ...even if I don’t go anywhere.
 
 I have been given a second chance and I am grateful .......

No comments:

Post a Comment